Greenland Qajaq Classes are specialty classes that teaches people a relaxed style of paddling. Sweetwater Kayaks offers five different types of classes on Sunday
Call the shop at 727.570.4844 for class information
If you are new to kayaking or if you have paddled longer than you have been alive, you have probably have heard of Greenland Kayaking. The term can refer to kayak design, paddle style, and or rolling recovery. For an estimated 4,000 years hunters have used the qajaq throughout the arctic circle from Alaska to Greenland to feed their families.
Below are descriptions of classes:
- Basic / Intro Paddling Strokes – $75
- Class is approximately three hours
- Thinking about trying Greenland traditional style kayaking, then, this is the perfect course for you. Learn the basics – safety, lingo, and how to maneuver a kayak – in three fun-filled hours. In this comprehensive course students learn how to lessen the chances of capsizing a kayak from a breaking wave or boat wake, and develop an understanding in how the boat, paddle, and water interact. Paddlers will work to develop low and high brace recovery strokes; as well as, learn that sculling is just about playing with degrees of wetness. Be sure to follow this one up with a self-recovery class and you will be off to a great start.
- Rolling “Self Recovery Techniques in the event of a capsize” – $50
- Private instruction
- $35 for repeat private sessions
- Students will discover a relaxed, safe, and reliable recovery techniques for the calm to the small craft advisory days. The main reason for this class is because the use of traditional Greenland – style paddles has increased in the sea kayaking community. This class will cover Greenland side sculling and the standard (sweep) roll. Students who show proficiency with these maneuvers may progress to chest sculling, angel roll, or armpit roll. Additional rolls may be introduced to inspire further learning. In all there are 35 Greenland rolls and related maneuvers that can be coached.
- ACA Intro to Traditional Qajaq Skills kayak class – $95
- Eight hours of instruction
- $85 for American Canoe Association members
- Here you will learn why the Greenlanders are the masters of the roll. Part of the class will be an exhibition of many effortless rolls. Students will practice paddling, sculling, balance braces, and rolls. You will work on learning to roll or for those having a solid roll, you may learn a new one. Having a Greenland style kayak with a low back and Greenland paddle really helps with this clinic.
- Greenland Kayak weekend package – $100
- Three hours of private instruction on Saturday, and a semi private catered kayak trip on Sunday.
- Toothpicks for Everyone
- Land based lecture class
- Thinking about why your fellow paddlers are using 8,000-year-old technology to paddle their kayaks. Perhaps you want to know how a Greenland style paddle can be good for your body. Request this Lecture class for your group of friends and learn another way of going green.
Classes are taught by Jeff Fabiszewski